A Piece of Eighteenth Century Charleston

A Piece of Eighteenth Century Charleston

 

Photo by Kaycee Houge.

One of the most recent additions to the Charleston real estate market, Fenwick Hall (pronounced as ‘fennick’) is sure to further pique the interest many have for Charleston’s grand history.

Photo by Kaycee Houge.

This gorgeous Georgian home was built during the early 1700’s by the Honorable Major General John Fenwick after having immigrated from England. While this property now includes a number of buildings, the original plantation home consisted of the main house , a kitchen house, and a carriage house. The latter two buildings have been restored within the last ten years, and the interior of Fenwick Hall’s main house has been prepared for interior renovating. Don’t fret–despite these interior updates, the original fireplaces and much of the original Georgian Cyprus still remain (pictured above).

Photo by Kaycee Houge.

The original structures are full of secrets and hidden treasures, including a number of secret passages within the house and tunnels under the plantation. While many of the passages have yet to be found, those that have been found are currently sealed up. Many believe that the secrets beneath Fenwick Hall come from pirates journeying along the Stono River. Over time, each of the owners have added their own flare while maintaining the beauty of the grounds and gardens.  View below the formal English garden, said to have been added in the early 2000’s–this garden certainly gives the plantation home a traditional English atmosphere.

 

Photo by Kaycee Houge.

Although Fenwick Hall is not currently open to the public, as many other famous Charleston plantations are, those interested in learning more about the history may find a rough timeline on the South Carolina Plantations website. Additional information, including in-depth tales of the aforementioned pirates and ghosts of the Fenwick family, can be found at the Fenwick Hall website.

 

 

Post A Comment